A sound installation for Thiel Gallery's audio guide
Experience Thiel Gallery in an new way – with sound installations in your phone! Different art genres has always collaborated at the Thielska Gallery. Ernest Thiel himself wrote poems and a selection of them was composed by the composer Hugo Alfvén: Skogen sover och Jag längtar dig is perhaps among the most famous of them.
The Canadian artist Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay has based his sound installation on seven of these songs and paired them with as many works of art from the museum's collection of Nordic turn of the century art. He has written personal reflections - interludes - about the power of art, music and emotions. The soundtracks give the house and the artworks a voice and invites the visitor to a personal meeting with the museum.
Interludes/Mellanspel is a work that you find in Thiel Gallery's audio guide. You can download the app and listen to it on your phone. The audio guide is available in both English and Swedish. In the English version the artist himself is the narrtor and in the Swedish version the poet Clara Diesen reads. The songs are performed by baritone Mattias Nilsson and pianist Anna Christenssen.
Artworks included in the app
- Filing cabinet. Archive room
- Carl Larsson: Portrait of Signe Thiel, 1900. Salon
- Nietzsche’s death mask. Tower room
- Eugène Jansson: Nocturne, 1901. Dining room
- Johannes Collin: Neger, 1915. Dome room
- Gustaf Fjaestad: Sofa, 1907. Munch room
- Ernst Josephson: Sketch for Näcken, 1881. Salon
How to download the app:
- Download the app for free by searching for A Guided Tour on AppStore or Google Play.
- Click on the Thiel Gallery in the app's list of museums.
- Select "Interludes – Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay".
- Choose an artwork from the list and start listen.
Interlude no. 1 - Deep in the freeborn human soul
Interlude no. 2 - The only one to whom I gave my heart
Interlude no. 3 - I kiss your pale hand
Interlude no. 4 - You are quiet rest
Interlude no. 5 - I long for you
Interlude no. 6 - The forest sleeps